Here are 5 five tips everyone should keep in mind:
1) Say “partner or partners” instead of “couple.”
2) Support multiple-person commitment ceremonies.
3) Ask a poly person about his or her life. Ask about the person’s partner(s) as a way of affirming the importance of those relationships.
4) Speak up if someone reveals an irrational fear of polyamory. Be aware of subtle and institutional forms of discrimination against polyamorous people.
5) If polyamory brings up strong negative emotions for you, gently explore those feelings by talking with someone you trust.